Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Management Development
|Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Management Development|
|26 Apr 2018||WS7939||£4900||London and Birmingham Centres|
'An absolutely brilliant training session ..... It was the best training course I’ve ever attended.'
Charlotte Sansom – Senior PR Manager, DWF LLP
This Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Management development programme will effectively deliver a top level mini-MBA plus package; with the plus factor being numerous practical examples and real world applications. You will be directly able to apply your new skills and strategic thinking to growing your own business. Being successful within an increasingly complex and fast moving world, with flatter management structures, requires a firm grasp and an in depth understanding of a range of leadership, strategic management, tactical and functional management concepts and skills.
This course will provide the essential knowledge of those key leadership and management issues and concepts that are needed by successful Directors, Managers, Senior Executives and Consultants in order to remain ahead of their competition. The successful completion of this course will provide the delegates with the leadership and management capabilities to successfully grow their businesses in a sustainable and profitable manner. It will also provide a sound theoretical and practical knowledge base upon which to build and acquire new and more advanced leadership and management skills, as well as to recognise and be able to develop the same qualities within their own management teams.
Attendees will become highly skilled at the initiation and management of successful and profitable business growth. You will become more involved with all types of strategic discussions within your organisation. You will be more confident and comfortable when communicating in all areas of leadership and management with directors, senior executives, investors, banks, suppliers and key clients.
This Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Management Development consists of a portfolio of six seminars/workshops, which collectively cover all of the key skills needed to successfully develop and manage the profitable, successful and sustainable growth of any business. The core seminars/workshops are:
- Digital Marketing Strategy, 2 days, available on several dates during the year
- Finance for Non-Finance Managers, 2 days, available on several dates during the year
- Social Media Marketing, 1 day, available on several dates during the year
- Sales and Marketing Strategy, 2 days, available on several dates during the year
- Leadership and Strategic Thinking, 2 days, available on several dates during the year
- The Role of The Board Director, 1 day, available on several dates during the year
The core seminars/workshops provide a total of 10 days of training over a maximum period of year. The delegate will be able to choose their preferred pace of learning; it is possible to complete the program within 3 months. If any delegate feels that they have already covered a particular area in enough detail, they will be able to switch to another suitable open seminar/workshop, provided that decision is made within the first month of the program.
Digital Marketing Strategy
- Identification and profiling of Digital Marketing Channels
- Matching of business models with the appropriate Digital Marketing Channels
- Strengths and Weaknesses of the various Digital Marketing Channels
- Ideal scenarios, indicating when to use which Digital Marketing Channel
- Costs and benefits analysis of the various Digital Marketing Channels in terms of money and time
- Strategic options within Digital Marketing
- Overview of the various reporting tools and key service providers
- Short practical hands-on sessions to give insights into some of the most likely strategic options
- Evidence based business analytical approach to evaluating the success or failure of Digital Marketing initiatives
- This workshop will include at a Senior Executive level; Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), Google Adwords, Pay Per Click, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blogging, Email Marketing and many other topics
- Evidence based business analytical approach to evaluating the success or failure of Digital Marketing initiatives. You will be able to place an actual financial number on the return that you get from your Digital Marketing expenditures. This is a crucial element of all Digital Marketing Strategies
Finance for Non-Finance Managers
- Balance Sheets: Assets; Liabilities; Net current assets, capital employed and how to interpret the information;
- Profit & Loss Account, Types of profit, and Layout & use of the profit & loss account
- Cash Flow Statements: Importance of cash flow and Impact of credit and credit control, Liquidity and profitability, the essential differences. Dealing with Debtors and Creditors
- Ratio analysis and Return on Capital Employed (ROCE); Gearing, is the level of borrowing too risky? The impact of risk upon returns
- How the cost structure can affect planning and decision making. Direct and Indirect Costs: Fixed and variable costs. Activity Based Costing (ABC) and Break-even analysis
- Investment decisions and Return on Investment; Payback; Internal Rate of Return (IRR); Net Present Value of assets (NPV)
- Acquisitions and disposals; Consolidations and organic growth versus growth by acquisition; Goodwill and amortisation considerations
Social Media Marketing
- This will cover all of the major options
- It will provide a methodological approach to selecting the most suitable options for your business
- It will enable you to measure and to maximise the financial and reputational gains from your Social Media activities
- We will walk you through the key planning steps and resources required to implement a successful Social Media Strategy
Sales and Marketing Strategy
- Sales versus Marketing
- The role of a Marketing Strategy
- How to create of a Marketing Strategy that will drive success
- How to measure and evaluate sales and marketing success, within a financial framework
- Porter's Strategies, Ansoff's Matrix and the Boston Matrix
- Product Positioning; the Marketing Mix and the 7P framework
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats at a Strategic Marketing level
- External forces and Strategic Risk; Political, Economic, Social, Technological. Legal and Environmental factors
- Sales & Marketing Budgeting and Forecasting
- Successful implementation of the Marketing Strategy
Leadership and Strategic Thinking
- Strong Leadership differentiated Good Management
- The role of the Board in Leading and Directing successful business evolutionary or transformational change
- Strategic performance measurement and performance management
- Strategic Budgets and Key Performance Indicators
- The Balanced Scorecard
- Strategic Objectives
- Strategic Risk Management
- How to encourage Strategic Thinking
- Market Life Cycles and Porters Strategic Value Chain
- Mission Statement and Vision; Corporate Culture
- Aligning all Strategic Performance and Motivational tools
- Strategic communication
- Financial valuation of Leadership and Strategic Thinking
The Role of The Board Director
- Legal Obligations and Fiduciary Duties
- Different types of Directors
- How do we know if a Board is Effective?
- The profile of an Effective Board
- Potential Conflicts of Interest
- Stakeholders and their interests
- The most important stakeholder
- Conflicting Stakeholder objectives
- How to make legally correct Board Decisions
- Common scenarios, which give rise to problems
- Short term versus long term considerations
- Company constitutions; memorandum and articles of association
- The difference between Company Direction and Management
- Strategic Planning and Risk Management
- Strategic liquidity and cashflow issues; potential Liquidation or Administration processes
The successful completion of this Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Management Development program will provide the successful delegates with the leadership and management capabilities to successfully grow their businesses in a sustainable and profitable manner. It will also provide a sound theoretical and practical knowledge base upon which to build and acquire new and more advanced leadership and management skills, as well as to recognise and be able to develop the same qualities within their own management teams.
The delegates will become highly skilled at the initiation and management of successful strategic and rapid business growth across their company. You will become more involved with all types of strategic discussions within your organisation. You will be more confident and comfortable when communicating in all areas of leadership and management with other directors, senior executives, investors, banks, prime suppliers and key clients.
Participants will receive helpful personal feedback from the course tutors on their strengths and development; enabling engagement in a process of continuous and thorough development.
By the end of this training course participants will be better able to:
- Lead and Direct the company
- Practice Strategic Thinking within a Strategic Management Framework
- Implement Good Corporate Governance standards
- Plan, implement and strategically manage strong, sustained and successful business growth
- Formulate successful Corporate Strategies
- Be able to create a successful Digital Marketing Strategy
- Understand and exploit Digital Marketing and Social Media Channels
- Formulate a successful Sales and Marketing Strategy
- Differentiate between Strategic and Tactical Management
- Read, analyse and interpret any set of Financial Statements, including the Balance Sheet, the Profit & Loss Account and the Cash Flow statements
- Analyse and make sound Strategic investment decisions based upon break even analysis and contribution analysis, with a good understanding of their relative strengths and weaknesses
- Identify and discuss the key financial issues facing any organisation
- Understand the financial impact of all key business decisions upon the annual financial statements
- Understand the wider commercial impact of any business decision and its interaction with non-financial aspects of the organisation, enabling you to make a better contribution to key Strategic discussions and decision within the organisation
- Value any business using commonly used and widely accepted valuation techniques such as Net Asset Value, Enterprise Value and EBITDA
- Evaluate potential acquisitions successfully and plan for their subsequent successful integration into the group
- Create and Maintain an Effective Board
- Incorporate Best Practice within their own organisation
- Understand the legal and Fiduciary Duties of a director
- Lead and implement Strategic Change
- Ensure all Strategic Indicators and Performance tools are totally aligned
The Overall Course Leader is an FCA, a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales, a Fellow of the Institute of Directors and a Chartered Director; the qualification awarded by the Institute of Directors. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Consulting and sits on the Thames Valley Board of the Chartered Management Institute. In addition he has an Honours degree in Chemistry from University College London. His Leadership experience includes business leadership, town Councillor experience, as well as surmounting life threatening challenges in the Middle East. He will lead a team of specialist experts, who will collectively cover all of the relevant leadership and management disciplines
He has over 30 years of successful UK and International experience, including 7 years as the Finance Director and then the Chief Executive of a Plc, as well as 13 years with KPMG Management Consulting, IBM and Arthur Andersen.
He is on the Chartered Director Committee of the Institute of Directors, which determines what UK Board Directors should know in order to properly fulfil their role as a company director. This committee helps to shape the Institute of Directors examination syllabus in the UK. He has been closely involved in all aspects of the professional development of directors and managers within the UK, for the last 7 years. In addition to professional development services, he provides consulting services in Strategy, Profits, Processes and New Equity funding.
His delivery style is dynamic, fun, approachable and highly engaging, enabling him to deliver a workshop that you will remember and enjoy, which will be very different from the stereotype.
Who will benefit from attending this training?
General Managers, Board Directors, Trustees, Company Directors, Department Heads, Sales Managers, Marketing Managers, Administration Managers, Human Resources Managers, Purchasing Managers, IT Managers, Budget Holders, Production Managers, Technical Managers, Facilities Managers, Site Managers, Property Managers, Advertising Managers, Media Managers, Medical Managers, Charity Heads, Charity Managers, Medical Services Managers, Communications Managers, Logistics Managers, and any other managers or executives interested in improving their financial skills and knowledge for the benefit of their organisation and their personal career development.
'An absolutely brilliant training session ....................... It was the best training course I’ve ever attended.'
Charlotte Sansom – Senior PR Manager, DWF LLP
'Well constructed and organised. Interesting content with learning points that I can apply directly in my current role'
Bethan Chandler – Penn Pharma
'Excellent course............. backed up with insightful comments and examples, resulting in delegates taking away practical and readily applicable skills.'
Operations Manager of a large logistics and storage company
Heather Graz, Biophys Ltd
'A great course …... I’ve recommended this internally.'
Director of a large practice of chartered surveyors
'Excellent – Very impressed'
Amanda Burlingham, Director– LPC Construction Limited
'I found the analysis of real companies particularly helpful.'
Alison Biegel, Operations Manager, Anglia Tours Limited
'Ideal for general business'
David Hall, Director– Wrekin Housing Trust
'I would recommend this course – Enjoyed the course'
Peter Crosby, Managing Director– Briton Price Limited
'The course information has given me lost of ideas on how I can look at managing and growing the sector more profitably'
Mark George, Senior Manager – Total People Limited
'Very interesting, very comprehensive and flexible'
Bryony Lester – Superstat Limited
'Good examples of best practice to explain the points, which helped me to understand'
Senior Manager of a large recruitment firm
'Tutor was extremely knowledgeable'
Lorraine Nicholson – Access Training
'Very good, many thanks'
Robert Leach – Mosdorfor CCL Systems Limited
'I would recommend this course'
Ben Rowles – CSE Education Systems
'Informative and gave a clear insight into the importance of financial business management ....... gave clear indicators on how to present the business case for growth.'
Senior Quality Project Manager of a large international Human Resources firm
'Helped attendees to focus on areas of management that we have perhaps been overlooking recently'
Director of a multinational company
'Very interesting – Superb overview'
Mark Barfield – British Triathlon Federation
'Very good – Gave me ideas to plan changes'
Carol Jones, Senior Manager, Customer Service Management & Retail – Total People Limited
Internal Staff Training and Development
This training workshop, along with most of our other best practice training workshops, can be delivered as an internal training course at your premises. Even with groups as small as 6-8 delegates, the course fees per person for internal training workshops can be lower than for open events. The potential savings are even greater, if the travel time and the travel costs of the delegates are included.
Running training workshops internally is very convenient and it allows the participants to explore how key issues will impact on them and their organization. Then as a team they can begin to agree upon a development action plan, with priorities. This approach is favoured by many of our clients as it combines a high quality service with excellent value for money and is a highly effective route for staff development.
Related Management Training Workshops
Certificates of Professional Development.
This course is recognised for CPD purposes by most professional institutes and associations including the Law Society, the CIM, the CMI, the ICAEW, the Institute of Learning and the CIPD. Formal Certificates of Professional Development will be issued by email to participants who successfully complete this course. These certificates will enable participants to evidence the update of their CPD records. The workshop will consider how to best apply the knowledge gained by the delegates upon their return to the workplace. This element of the programme is designed to maximise the benefits of attending and enable participants to make valued judgments when recording CPD activities