2020 Board Director Essential Updates 1 Day (WS8438)
Company Board Director Training Course Essentials for 2020
Chartered Management Institute Recognised Training Centre for Director Training Courses. This is a CMI Recognised Director Course Day.
Formal Certificates of Professional Development will issued by email to all delegates who successfully complete the course. These certificates will be accepted as evidence for CPD purposes by most professional institutes and associations, including the Law Society, the IoD, the CIM, the CMI, the ICAEW, the Institute of Learning and the CIPD.
"Excellent" Delegate Comments on the Company Director Training Courses
'Plenty of information, very adaptable to the needs of the group, plenty of pace, lots of case studies, very helpful.'
Karen Mayhew - Chief Executive, Havebury Housing Partnership
'Phil has good knowledge and an enthusiastic and effective delivery.'
Andrew Naismith – Managing Director, CAE Aircrew Training Services Plc
'Very informative and pitched at the right level. Answered all questions very well and from an informed background. Excellent course.' Emma Steele – Director, John Lamb LLP
'Philip has a good understanding of the subject matter and presented it an interesting and enthusiastic manner.'
Paul Minopoli – Software Director, MRG Systems Ltd
'As a director it is exactly what I needed. The awareness and learning outcomes fit very well with my expectations. Thank you.'
Darren Payne – Director, Rhodar Limited
'Great interaction and good pace' Ben Ward - Director, Willmott Dixon
'Very clear; well structured; excellent examples. Course leader has a great presentational style leading to good discussions'
Mark Simmons - Director, Plasser UK
'Philip handled the course content and all of the questions really well. Very informative and highly recommended'
Rory Curran - Non-Executive Director, Ecodesk
'Excellent course, great participation, a good mix of attendees'
Sarah Newbold-Hill – Senior Business Director, The Evolve Trust
'Very happy with this course. Like the focus on practical problems.' Neil Hounslow - Vice President, Kowa Research Europe
'Excellent all round' Frances Adcock - Adcocks Solicitors
'Very good course' Adrian Lewis - Commercial Director, Cova Security
'Thoroughly engaging and informative, I would not have believed that a subject, potentially so dry, could be made so interesting. Your professionalism and obvious depth of knowledge was a joy to watch' Rod Mountain – Chief Executive, Nelson King
'Excellent, very clear and relevant examples.' Board Director
'Great examples, Phil's experience and stories to back up learning are great.'
Geoff Stanley - Chief Technical Officer, Rock Insurance Group
'Very good overview, the course was responsive to attendees’ questions and backgrounds.'
Kath Webster – Director Scientific Services, Animal & Plant Health Agency
'Well presented and engaging.' Trevor Phillips, Chief Operating Officer, Vectura Limited
'Very good discussion and information for directors.' Natalie Spotswood, Legal Director, FM Insurance Company Limited
'Very helpful to get a better understanding of a director’s role and responsibility. Gives good guidance on how to perform this role better.' Ralph Zaat - President, Kowa Research Europe Ltd
Director Training Course Overview; Board Director Essentials for 2019 and 2020
This 1-day training course is designed for both experienced and newly appointed Company Directors who want to ensure that they know and understand the collective board responsibilities, as well as the individual responsibilities of directors and are complying with all of the relevant laws and regulations, including the recent changes in 2019 and those about to become effective in 2020.
This day is set within the framework of the relevant laws, codes and regulations in force in 2020, including the Companies Act 2006, the 2018 UK Corporate Governance Code effective 1 January 2019 through 2020 and the new laws coming into effect in 2020. It deals with Effective Boards, UK Corporate Governance Reform Drivers, 2019 and 2020 rules and laws on Director Pay, EU Corporate Governance, International Board Structures, Risk Management, Major Corporate Governance Failures and their early indicators. It also covers offence specific legislation at board level such as; the Bribery Act, the 2017 Criminal Finances Act, the Corporate Manslaughter Act, Pitfalls and Errors arising from the 2018 Data Protection Act & GDPR (board level only) and the Health & Safety at Work Act (board level only).
In addition the course covers Board Strategic Financial Management elements, including the mandatory 2019 and 2020 board level financial changes. These elements will also include, to the level appropriate for board directors: Acquisitions, Disposals and Goodwill; Budgeting & Pension Issues, Maximising Shareholder Value and Company Valuations.
To ensure that the Company Directors attending this training course will get the maximum possible benefit from their time and that the discussions will be at their most effective; the delegate numbers will be limited to a maximum of 12 directors.
This training course is constantly being updated to always contain the latest issues and includes information on matters that have only been published in 2019and therefore first apply to financial years starting on or after 1 January 2020. The Chairman of the Board of Directors, along with all other Company Directors, both Executive and Non-Executive Directors, will benefit from this course.
The training course is delivered by some of the best Corporate Governance tutors in the UK. They are heavily involved with Corporate Governance at the highest possible levels and have a wealth of practical experience at their fingertips, as well as outstanding theoretical knowledge. The role and responsibilities of Company Board Directors will be comprehensively covered by this training course.
The completion of this training course will provide a good grasp of the key elements of corporate governance and strategic management concepts that are needed by successful Company Directors and effective Company Boards, as well as their specialist advisors and consultants, in order to comply with the law and to properly fulfil their Company Director roles and responsibilities collectively, as well as the individual responsibilities of a director. It will also provide a sound theoretical knowledge base upon which to build and acquire new and more advanced corporate governance and strategic management skills. The theoretical knowledge will be reinforced by highly relevant hands-on case studies and group discussions. Attendees will become highly skilled at understanding and complying with all corporate governance requirements under the 2018 UK Corporate Governance Code, as well as satisfying all of their statutory duties under the Companies Act 2006 and the new legislation effective in 2020. You will become more involved with all types of Company Board and governance discussions within your organisation, as well as more confident and comfortable when communicating with fellow directors, investors and key advisors.
Director Training Course Content - Board Director Essentials for 2019 and 2020
The training course will cover:
- The new 2019 Laws and Regulations, Effective 1 Jan 2019 through 2020
- UK 2018 Corporate Governance Reform Drivers
- Quoted Company Director Pay
- Unquoted Company Director Pay
- 20% Shareholder Dissent
- Engagement with the Workforce
- Engagement with the other Stakeholders
- New legal requirements effective from April 2020
- Wates Corporate Governance Principles Context
- EU Corporate Governance
- Relevance to UK companies
- Context and relationship to the UK Corporate Governance Code 2018
- 9 Principles applicable to all companies
- 5 Principles applicable to large or complex companies
- Non-Executive Directors
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Major Corporate Governance Failures
- Impact upon the brands and their finances
- Costs of failure versus the costs of prevention
- EU and Other International Board Structures
- Dual or Two-Tier Board Structures
- Contrasts to the UK Unitary Board Structure
- German Board Structures
- French Board Structures
- Impact of the Differences upon employment, taxation and company ownership
- Effective Board Meetings
- Principal Duty of the Board
- Direction and Management
- Board Powers and Responsibilities
- Delegated Powers and Limits of Authority
- Board Agenda; Standards and Procedures
- "Any Other Business"
- Board Papers; Standards, Processes and Timings
- Board Minutes
- Meeting Effectiveness Reviews
- Risk Management
- Risk Management and Entrepreneurialism
- Top 5 Risks across all companies
- Emerging Risks
- Corporate Risk Culture
- Rewarding Risk Taking
- Internal Controls
- Risk Management Standard ISO 31000
- Bribery Act 2010
- Scope and Sting
- Six Key Management Principles
- Rolls Royce and Deferred Prosecution Agreements
- Staying out of trouble
- Criminal Finances Act 2017
- Corporate Manslaughter Act 2007
- "Controlling Mind" no longer relevant
- Reputational and other consequential losses
- Direct Penalties
- Data Protection Act 2018 & GDPR at Board Level, Traps & Errors
- EU defined safe areas
- Data Transfers across countries and companies within the same Group
- Board Level Data Protection Impact Assessments and Data Profiling
- Board Level Data Protection by Design
- Consent and retention periods
- Cloud Storage implications
- Corporate email addresses
- Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, Board Level Only
- Scope and Relevance
- Duties to Employees and Others
- Penalties and Prohibition/Improvement Notices
- Minimum Practices and Evidence Based Management
- Strategic Financial Management
- Enterprise Valuations; EBITDA, Acquisitions, Disposals and Goodwill
- Impact of Acquisitions upon the finances and the market value of the organisation
- Strategic Budget Issues
- Strategic Pension Issues
- Board Level Recognition of Sales
- Strategic Balance Sheet Issues, including 2019 leasing changes
- Strategic Sales Management
Through presentations, hands-on case studies and group discussions, the course tutor will impart exactly the knowledge and information that Company Directors need to fulfil their directors responsibilities and duties, as well as to assess and maximise the effectiveness of their own Company Board. Every appointed Board Director, including both Executive and Non-Executive Directors, will benefit from this training course; from the most recently appointed Company Board Director to the Chairman of the Board.
Training Course Leaders
One is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales, an FCA, and a Chartered Director; the Board Director qualification awarded by the Institute of Directors. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Consulting, a Fellow of the Institute of Directors and a former Town Councillor. He serves on the Thames Valley Board of the Chartered Management Institute and was the lead Finance for Non-Finance Directors tutor for many years for the Chartered Management Institute. He has just completed 12 years on the Chartered Director and Standards Committees of the Institute of Directors. The Chartered Director Committee of the Institute of Directors was the body that advised the Institute of Directors for more than 12 years, as to what UK Board Directors should know in order to properly fulfil the role of a company director. This committee helped to shape the Institute of Directors examination syllabus in the UK. He has been closely involved at a senior level, for more than 20 years, in all aspects of the professional development of company directors and managers; he has also served on a Plc audit committee and a remuneration committee.
In addition to professional executive and director development services, he is actively involved in company acquisitions and disposals, as well as providing board level financial consulting services. He has practical experience of funding new start ups and investments, including raising new Equity Share Capital. He has over 30 years of successful UK and International experience, including 7 years as the Finance Director, Company Secretary and then the Chief Executive of a Plc, as well as 14 years with KPMG Management Consulting, IBM and Arthur Andersen.
The other is a Chartered Company Secretary and a Fellow of the Institute of Directors and has spent many years as a Corporate Governance Tutor at the Institute of Directors and elsewhere. He has many years experience as a Company Secretary and as a company director; both as a non-executive director and as an executive director.
The course tutors are very well qualified and highly experienced individuals; one of these will deliver your workshop. They possess a delivery style, which is dynamic, approachable and highly engaging, enabling them to deliver a workshop that you and your company will benefit from and equally importantly, one that you will remember and enjoy. Their courses are always assessed as "Excellent" by the delegates.
Who Should Attend This Training Course
This 1-day training course is designed for both experienced and newly appointed Company Directors, as well as their specialist advisors, consultants and Company Secretaries, who want to ensure that they are complying with all of the relevant laws and regulations, as well applying the highest standards of Corporate Governance within their companies. The Chairman of the Board of Directors, along with all other Company Directors, both Executive and Non-Executive Directors, as well as current and prospective, will benefit from this training course.
Training Course Learning Objectives
By the end of this training course participants will be better able to:
- Define, analyse and interpret the key statutory offence issues inherent in any business scenario, relating to the many laws covered in the content
- Understand and quantify the impact of any particular course of action upon the fundamental risk management issues
- Recognise and comply with the new statutory and other requirements relating to Company Director roles and responsibilities that came into force in 2019 and 2020
- Become familiar with the new aspects of the range of legal, regulatory and corporate governance requirements with which Company Directors should comply in 2019 and 2020
- Understand the key aspects of the new 2018 Corporate Governance Code, insofar as they relate to Company Directors, which is still the latest version in 2020
- Identify and discuss some of the key ethical, legal and governance issues facing any organisation
- Analyse and make sound Board decisions based upon a deeper understanding of the new legal framework and 2020 corporate governance requirements
- Understand the wider corporate governance impact of any business decision and its strategic interaction with all aspects of the organisation
- Become more familiar with the key elements of the most important aspects of Strategic Management
- Understand and recognise the key aspects of offence specific legislation insofar as they are relevant to board directors.
- Become better able to make a strong contribution to Board discussions and decision making
- Understand and implement a framework for Strategic Risk Management
- Become more familiar with current the most important aspects of Strategic Financial Board Issues
- Know and understand the 2019 and 2020 legal and regulatory changes
- Communicate more effectively and easily with fellow Board Directors and key advisors; through an in depth understanding of corporate governance and Strategic Management techniques
Internal Staff Training and Development
This training workshop, along with most of our other best practice training workshops, can be delivered as an internal training course at your premises. Even with groups as small as 6-8 delegates, the course fees per person for internal training workshops can be lower than for open events. The potential savings are even greater, if the travel time and the travel costs of the delegates are included.
Running training workshops internally is very convenient and it allows the participants to explore how key issues will impact on them and their organization. Then as a team they can begin to agree upon a development action plan, with priorities. This approach is favoured by many of our clients as it combines a high quality service with excellent value for money and is a highly effective route for staff development.
Certificates of Professional Development.
This course is recognised for CPD purposes by most professional institutes and associations including the Law Society, the CIM, the CMI, the ICAEW, the Institute of Learning and the CIPD. Formal Certificates of Professional Development will be issued by email to participants who successfully complete this course. These certificates will enable participants to evidence the update of their CPD records. The workshop will consider how to best apply the knowledge gained by the delegates upon their return to the workplace. This element of the programme is designed to maximise the benefits of attending and enable participants to make valued judgments when recording CPD activities